There are certain pads or brushes that need to be used on auto scrubbers so that polished concrete floors are not damaged. However, there has been a lot of debate about the proper pads to use because there are so many different kinds.
When choosing a pad, their level of aggressiveness is specified by its color. There are many colors and it can be confusing as to which color is the proper one. Nonetheless the most common pads that are safe to be used on polished concrete are white, red, and black. There are also brushes you may be wondering about and diamond impregnated pads.
Here are some things that you need to know about these three cleaning items:
- White is the softest pad and is usually used for buffing the polished concrete floor. It can also be used for cleaning. Although this is a soft pad, its material weave is tighter than the other pads. This is a pad that can actually pick up dirt rather quickly. However, the dirt can get lodged throughout the pad and turn it into a sanding pad rather than a cleaning pad. If the concrete floor gets dirty rather fast, the white pad is not recommended. White pads are fine if the floor’s maintenance is kept up.
- The red pad is more or less a “no brainer” because it is aggressive enough to clean up contaminates and scuff marks, but it doesn’t dull the floor’s shine. This makes it perfect for light duty cleaning. The pad is more rigid than the white pad, but it is not as stiff as the black pad. It tends to be the pick for regular maintenance, but may not be best for use every day.
- The black pad is the most aggressive pad, as they are usually used by polished concrete professionals to strip the finish, remove contaminants, and remove sealers. These pads are not recommended to be used in an auto scrubber because they could damage the floor.
- Brushes are also common in the cleaning of polished concrete floors. It is important to note that not all brushes are created equal. There are two main types of brushes: polypropylene brushes and nylon with silicon carbide abrasive. Polypropylene brushes are usually soft and ideal to use for cleaning concrete floors. They help ensure the low areas are cleaned and they collect gathered dirt. The silicon carbide abrasive brushes are not usually recommended since they can diminish the shine.
- There seems to be a lot of raving about diamond impregnated pads for use in polishing concrete. The pads are made of hog hair with a diamond and resin mixture sprayed onto the pad. The pads can do a great job on floors that are in great condition. When they are used right, they do really well because they can get out everyday scratches and keep the floor looking clean. One thing to keep in mind is that these pads will not work if the shine is already gone.
So if you are a business owner located in the Twin Cities and you are wondering what you need to do to clean your floors, you now know what you should and should not use. You can also ask your polished concrete contractor what should and should not be used on your particular finish.